WEEK TITLE OF LECTURE/MODULE LEARNING OBJECTIVES CONTENTS DURATION GRADED ASSESSMENT
UNIT I: MODELS OF HEALTH AND ILLNESS
DAY-1: Health and well-being
• To elucidate the concept of health.
• To elaborate various dimensions of health.
• To understand the notion of well-being.
• To discuss the various facets of well-being.
• To explore the relation between health and well-being.
DAY-2: Introduction to Bio-medical model and its assumptions
• Understanding history of bio medical model.
• Understanding philosophical and theoretical foundations and perspectives.
• Understanding germ theory.
• Understanding bio medical model.
• Understanding principles of bio medical model.
• Understanding characteristics of biomedical model.
• Understanding assumptions of bio medical model.
• Understanding advantages and disadvantages of bio medical model.
DAY-3: Introduction to Bio-Psychosocial model and its assumptions
• Understanding the historical background of Biopsychosocial model
• To get familiar with the major premises of bio-medical model.
• Understanding the role of biological, social and psychological factors in the health and illness.
DAY-4: Advantages and disadvantages of Bio psychosocial model, Biomedical model v/s Bio-Psychosocial model
• Introduction of biomedical model
• Introduction of biopsychosocial model
• Principles of Biomedical model
• Principles of biopsychosocial model
• Advantages of Bio-psychosocial Model
DAY-5: Concept of holistic health, its principles and importance
• Understanding the concept of holism and holistic health approach.
• Understanding the concept and benefits of holistic care.
• Understanding the misconceptions about holistic health approach.
• Understanding the application of a true holistic approach to our wellbeing.
• Understanding how holistic health is practiced.
• Understanding the basic principles of holistic health.
• Understanding the aims of holistic health practice.
• Understanding the principles of holistic medicine.
• Understanding the principles of holistic practitioners.
• Understanding the importance of holistic health approach.
UNIT II: STRESS AND COPING
DAY-1: Nature and concept of stress
• Understanding Meaning and definitions of stress
• Understanding fight or flight response
• Understanding types of stress
• Understanding meaning of stressors
• Understanding types of stressors
• Understanding symptoms of stress
• Understanding effects of stress
• Understanding different models of stress
DAY-2: Sources of stress and how does stress cause illness
• Understand the concept of stress
• Gain knowledge about various sources of stress
• Delineate between external and internal sources of stress
• Learn about different categories of external stressors
• Differentiate between continuous and discrete stressors
• Learn about the effects of these stressors on health and wellbeing
• Learn about the diversity of stressors and their health consequences
• Understand the relation between stress and illness from different perspectives
• Learn about the physiological mechanisms related to continuous exposure of stress
• Learn about the stress related damages to neurological and other physiological aspects of the body
• Learn about the association between stress related physiological mechanisms and different illnesses.
DAY-3: Chronic process and Acute process
• The Concept of Acute Stress and its Treatment
• The concept of chronic stress
• Health and safety risks of chronic stress,
• Forms and Treatment of chronic stress
• Coping with Acute and Chronic stress
DAY-4: Effect of stress on mental health
• Be able to define stress
• Be able to understand the factors which mediate stress, like social support, psychosocial resources and coping styles.
• Be able to understand the concept of allostatic load and basic components of immune system.
• Be able to understand the theories of the stress-illness link.
• Be able to understand the role of stress in mental disorders.
DAY-5: Concept of coping, Ways of coping and stress management
• Understanding the concept of stress
• To have an understanding of ways of coping with stress
• To get a basic knowledge about stress management
• To get familiar with various techniques of stress management
• To get familiar with the stress management program
UNIT III: HEALTH MANAGEMENT
DAY-1: Health enhancing behaviors: Exercise and Weight control: Health protective behaviors and illness management
• Understanding the concept of health behaviours.
• Understanding the dimensions of health behaviours.
• Understanding the concept of exercise and weight control as health enhancing and protective behaviours.
• Understanding the application and importance of these health enhancing behaviours.
• Understanding the concept of illness management.
• Understanding the effectiveness of illness management.
• Understanding the Concept of Nutrition
• Understanding the Role of Nutrition
• Understanding the Components of Nutrition
• Understanding the concept Malnutrition
DAY-3: Accident prevention
• Understanding meaning of accidents
• Understanding causes of accidents
• Understanding unsafe acts
• Understanding various types of accidents
• Understanding accident prevention
• Understanding various techniques of reducing accidents
• Understanding other preventive measures of accident prevention
• Understanding framework for Safe System of Work to prevent accidents
• Understanding different models of accident prevention
• Understanding Swiss cheese model
DAY-4: Health compromising behaviours: Alcoholism, Smoking
• Understanding history of alcoholism
• Understanding meaning of alcoholism
• Understanding stages of alcoholism
• Understanding effects of alcoholism
• Understanding history of smoking
• Understanding meaning of smoking
• Understanding effects of smoking on health
DAY-5: Substance Abuse
• Acute Intoxication
• Withdrawal State
• Dependence Syndrome
• Causes of Substance Abuse
• Alcohol Use Disorders
• Opioid Use Disorders
• Cannabis Use Disorder
• Cocaine Use Disorder
• Amphetamine Use Disorder
• LSD Use Disorder
• Barbiturates Use Disorder
• Benzodiazepines and other Sedative Hypnotics
• Inhalants or Volatile Solvent Use Disorder
• Phencyclidine Use Disorder
• Caffeine and Nicotine
• Signs and Symptoms of Substance Abuse
• Treatment of Substance Abuse
UNIT IV: HUMAN STRENGTHS AND LIFE MANAGEMENT
DAY-1: Classification of human strengths and virtues: Physical strengths and virtues
• Be able to understand the background and importance of classifying human strengths and virtues.
• Be able to understand the attempts at classifying human strengths and virtues.
• Be able to understand the criteria for selection of human strengths and methods for identifying them in “Values in Action” classification of human strengths.
• Be able to understand different human strengths.
• Be able to appreciate the relationship between physical fitness and mental health.
• Be able to understand a relationship between character strengths and physical fitness/virtues.
DAY-2: Mental strengths and virtues, Hope, Optimism
• Virtue of Wisdom and Knowledge
• Virtue of Courage
• Virtue of Humanity
• Virtue of Justice
• Virtue of Temperance
• Virtue of Transcendence
• Hope as a cognitive style
• Hope as a Positive Emotion.
• Hope as a Character Strength
DAY-3: Gainful employment: Me/we balance
• Understanding the concept of gainful employment.
• Understanding the components of gainful employment.
• Understanding the theoretical approaches and applications of gainful employment.
• Understanding the new emphasis on gainful employment in India.
• Understanding the concept of Me/We balance.
• Understanding the concept of individualism and collectivism
• Know the concept of resilience
• Identify the pathways to resilience
• Understand the models of resilience
• Know about the main concepts in resilience research
• Identify the sources of resilience
DAY-5: Meditation and Self-introspection
• Understanding History of meditation.
• Understanding Meaning and definitions of Meditation
• Understanding Types of meditation.
• Understanding History of self-introspection
• Understanding Meaning and definitions of Self-introspection.