Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary academic field that integrates physical, biological and information sciences including but not limited Ecology, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Mineralogy, Oceanology, Limnology, Soil Science, Geology etc. to the study of the environment and solution of environmental problems. Environmental Sciences emerged from the field of natural history and medicine during the enlightenment.
Environmental Science assesses the impact of human activity on the global environment and develop scientific, risk-based solutions to help secure and sustainable global environment. It encompasses both the biological and the earth sciences.
The course covers all the major components of the environment including origin and evolution of earth and life, natural resources, ecological principles and population dynamics, pollution, wildlife conservation and impact of individualization. In addition, it also addresses related some economic, cultural and ethical aspects which are important to ensure a sustainable future for humans. This course also provides information related to Environmental issues related to sustainable livelihood and human welfare.
Some important topics includes in Environmental Science Senior Secondary course as follows:
1. Origin, Evolution and its uses by humans
2. Principles of Ecology
3. Human settlement and their impact on environment
4. (a) Environmental Pollution and Natural Disasters
(b) National and Global Environmental Issues
5. Conservation of biodiversity and other natural resources
6. Sustainable development with regards to agriculture and cleaner technology
7. Environmental Management (ethics, legislation and organization related to environment)
8. (a) Water Resource Management
(b) Energy and Environment